Sunday, December 18, 2016

Has it Really Been That Long?

The library only lets you use the computers for an hour and sometimes there are lines to use one, so we do tend to drop off the face of the earth now and then.  But I can use my tablet as long as I like on the wifi, if it behaves, like just now it is downloading huge amounts of junk for apps I never use and it is lagging like crazy.

With all the car repairs, we were not able to reach our goal of getting back to some sewing in time, obviously.  The biggest problem other than the truck itself has been the shell.  It is not a slide in camper but what they call a topper.  The Brahma company went out of business ages ago, so this thing must be as old as the truck.  Before we moved out, I put in curtain rods, and caulked everything.  We finally found out that when they painted the shell and the truck, they did not put a gasket back in.  This is no problem in summer, but in winter, you might as well be inside a cooler.  We found this out just after we got our little butane heater.  So that was taken care of at a place I found by accident, but I think when they fork lifted the shell, the window cualking cracked and we still have to tarp the truck when it rains.  Other than that, yeah, a few more blankets thrown on.

There are a lot of ups and downs about this lifestyle.  The good parts are being able to see a lot of the outdoors we had no time to see before.  No gawd awful neighbors to drive us mad while we are trapped at their mercy.  Mostly we have made new acquaintences and some friends.  There are inconvieniences.  It's making and breaking camp all the time if we want to save money and cook our own meals. 

Then there are the real problems.  The people who prey on the homeless seem to think we are an easy mark.  They want money, rides, food, hot water, just because we are homeless and have something.  The drug addicts always have a sad story, but who to blame but themselves?  We call the police, or we tell them we just don't have enough to share, I mean seriously? 

But you have to not make yourself a target with some people.  We actually have some homeless older creeps pimping drugged out teen girls who hang around in the library and make it their business to make sure no one uses their space, the lounge area near the bathrooms. I have reported them, and the library staff seem reluctant to do anything about them or the more offensive crazies so now I just call the police.

One of the biggest things that upset the street people, as opposed to the just plain homeless (a lot of whom have jobs they go to and have to hide their situation from their bosses) is that they think you are one of them: that you will be interested in drugs for favors or prostution.  Then they get mad when we tell them to get lost.  They get incensed when we call the police, because somehow, it's playground rules with these nut jobs.

One woman tried to convince me that I had forgotten being 'good
 friends' with her and her husband and had given them a ride to somewhere south way out of my knowledge.  Absolutely told me I had to have had some accident because I could not remember her and she would tell me all about it and give me gas money to give her and her man a lift again.  I pointed out that there are only two seats in my truck and my husband was handicapped, where exactly had everyone sat on this long drive before?  She then told me I had a different car at the time.  I asked her what made her think I would go get said car now, being homeless and having only the one car.  This totally bollixed her, but apparently I am the one brain damaged, LOL!

Learning to accept help was hard, we had to go to church pantries, and dinners, and all the running around doing so ate up time, and gas money. You spend hours in line for very little.  They cater primarily toward the hispanic community, and I have never eaten so much 'mexican' food in my life!  We finally determined to say no thanks and shop where there are smaller portions of meat for sale, and stopped running ourselves ragged.  Too much of the food the churches get is salt and sugar ladden or past expiration. People get food poisoning on a regular basis.  The good side is they give out free flue shots (we get ours through insurance anyway) and sometimes they have the vet students look at pets for free.  But we are looking forward to not having any more repairs that we know of in the coming months to be able to fend more for ourselves again, and save up some money.

The two year wait list may be getting shorter, but we still have to save up the key money in time to get a place when it becomes available, if ever.  The shop where we got the gasket for the shell makes custom campers for our size truck for a lot less than we have seen used ones for sale.  It is just a blank shell and very well made.  If we save up and the shell price is met before the apartment, you can bet we will buy a new shell.  Big enough for a bunk bed and a work counter, with cab over storage space and no more kneeling.  My guess is that we will have this before we see an apartment, unless we go east when the weather improves.  That means loosing our insurance for health and automotive, but much less cost of living.  And I can attend the doll cons with the camper after we get a place.

In the meantime, I hope to stop running around in circles with all the holiday dinners and get back to my hand sewing!  I was hoping to get some of the projects I cut out before we moved out done in time to send out for Christmas, but yeah, who can plan?  






 

3 comments:

  1. A new shell sounds warm and dry! I meant to tell you how funny the squirrel movie was--there is nothing sillier than a drunk squirrel (or two). The good thing about having a fixed address (though there is housework) is that you can get mail more easily. I had never thought about being stuck with neighbors though :o I have some interesting ones at the moment. At least they have nice pets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That poor squirrel! Everytime I see a pumpkin still out on the porch around here, I can't help thinking about how they are potentially contributing to the delinquency of a squirrel.
      There is still 'house work', unfortunately. I wish they had dishwashermats so I could just take my bucket of dishes in and put them in the washer, LOL!

      Tama is not the only cat on the road around here. And he is quite good on his leash now. The dog walkers are learning to keep their dogs out of his sight,though. I never knew squirrels barked, but I found out they will bark themselves silly at Tama when he chases them up a tree. Maybe he thinks dogs are just bigger squirrels?

      Delete
    2. THat is hilarious--Tama probably thinks he is much larger than he is, too. Probably people-sized!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!