Saturday, April 9, 2016

Shutting Down My Shop

Wow, after all the hard work I did to build up my reputation, I am now sitting here closing my DoA commission post and putting my Etsy in stasis.  I will be putting hand sewn entirely stuff up occasionally, but wow.  Bitter much?

I was so over tired from yesterday, that I still have not gotten LilsGirls outfits on Karen for their finished photos, took all day to answer an email and am just wondering around like a zombie, looking for ways to stuff more things into boxes, despite the fact that we are not moving until June 1.  I like to be prepared well in advance no matter what.  I have to get back on track to do that and start working on Cadmuss' order tomorrow.  I just need another good night's sleep.

So here was my thought for a general conversation post on DoA.  If you figured out the combined weight of all your dolls, how much would it be?  I was thinking, okay, fabric bins, dolls, seat them in the fabric, toss the fabric back in and yeah, that would protect them.

Except that six of my big guys in a box with fabric means a 60 pound plus box.  Nope.  Have to think something else up.  Especially since I want to be able to go to the storage unit and switch out dolls as I work on things on the road.

Ah well.

People might wonder why I have not just sold all of them.  Being raised in a family where you do not give up your means of making a living ever, I have not.  Everything is temporary.  We have no idea how long we will be in between housing, it could be months, it could be years.  But when that time has passed, I will be able to set up my sewing room and start work again, with all my equipment right there.  I may never be able to afford a collection like this again.  I don't have the data to make that decision.   I just know I would no more give up my gang than go without a vehicle.  It's not economics; they are family, my coworkers, they supported me when I could not find a job, they are the ones who put food on the table and bought me shoes when I needed them.

Thank goodness we did not listen to people who told us we could not afford to run a car so we should junk it or sell it. As if being 'poor' we should just sink like good little rocks.  We scraped by for two years, nine months of that with it in the garage for ages, but now it is our lifeline, keeping us out of shelters and the grinding poverty and exposure to crime that not having that independence can lead to.  And it would have gone into storage still, if not for wonderful people helping us get it fixed.  Now it will be going to be fixed June 1 when we no longer have to worry about rent.

The fact is, once we are out of here, and the truck is fixed, we will be living with in our means for the first time since my hubby's stroke.  Crappy thing is, we will get extra for being 'homeless' too.  Not only that, but we will more than likely get bumped up any housing wait lists.  It is a most stupid maze to run.

But at least now I can stop bitching about not having a dishwasher!

2 comments:

  1. ((HUGS))) I love my low income apt. yes it is too small but it is Home. ya, i dont volunteer that i have a car-thier eyes pop. it does give you the opportunity to live a tad further out. You guys will make it through, one shuffle forward at a time, live in the present and the future will open before you... Peace and many blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes fate gives us a kick in the butt to the right direction, even if we can't see it at first. Oddly, this taught us what the most important thing is to run a business. Electricity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!