Wednesday, February 3, 2016

New Year Resolution Project: Soom-Only Doll Hybrid Arita

When Fishcake was nice enough to send me a Soom Super Gem girl, we both knew she was a problem child.  I tried sueding her with hot glue, padding her with moleskin, wires, everything.  Each time she was great for a few hours, then flopsy.  In an effort to make up my mind which skin tone to paint my Only Doll floating head,  and because I need her to model for the Flapper Project, I tried one more time.

This time I used something called Silly Winks, (who makes these names stuff up? It is neither silly, nor winking) that I got for insoles for the doll shoe project.  I found it at Hobby Lobby.


At first I was thinking, what about styrofoam sheeting, the stuff you wrap things to ship in?  But having like an idiot just thrown a bunch out a day or two earlier (never throw ANYTHING away, darn it!)  I thought, hey wait a minute, the foam stuff?  Maybe?  

So I grommet-ed her up, hips and arms and then ankles.  Gorilla crazy type glue has lasted almost seven years and is just now getting a bit goopy, but it worked to hold the foam in place.  I put strips in where the socket was most gaping on her hips and shoulders, and on her ankles which are not Soom ankles or feet.  


Two days later, check it out! The foam compressed a little, but it is still working.  This is free standing, with a pair of non-Soom high heel feet.  From default rag doll to faking aerobics is pretty good. 


The only problem was I had fixed her later at night then I should have been fussing over something and stood her up on the dining room table.  When she stood nicely for more than a whole minute, I turned to get the camera, only to hear that heart stopping sound (hey, great test for the new BP medication!) CRASH!  She hit the glass table top like a brick.  The only thing that broke was her fingers. I really need new Gorilla glue because while Ciel has had his finger repair since 2009, I had to reglue her fingers 3 times now.  And I need to fill in a little gap on the underside of one finger when I get the more runny new bottle.  After glueing, and a few days a light sanding gets rid of the glue shiney and you will never know they had broke.  

Before sanding excess glue off.

Now for the head.  I have been trying to figure this one out for two years now.  Do I paint her to match the Dragon Doll body, do I paint her to match the SID caramel body?  Do I paint her to match the Soom?  I am finally going with the Soom, because yeah, caramel, serious color mixing there.  I want to de-stress at the moment.  

So here is the original head (company photo)  An Only Doll Zhou Yu from Mint on Card.

                        
She was going to be Karen from Tiger&Bunny but since Fishcake gave me the PERFECT Karen, Zhou Yu is now going to be christened Arita. My plan is to do her up like one of my unobtainable (too small) dream dolls, the Unoa Zero Marion.  I basically fell in love with her sweet face, and seeing her again in the Dolly Bird books recently made me more determined.  According to Den of Angles: "Although highly sought after, Unoa Zeros were not produced in large numbers. Alchemic Labo sold its production rights to Hobby Japan, and sale of the Zero are subjected to sporadic magazine pre-order periods as dictated by Hobby Japan." So yeah, like that is happening even if I win the lottery. O_o 

Unoa Zero Marion

A close up of the Alchemic standard face up found on the net:

I believe this is a magazine scan. Found on Google images.

The head I have has a more pointed chin and narrow, almost smiling eyes, so I opened her eyes just a little bit for that wide eyed look. After she's been sitting around for two years with nothing on her resin, and being handled constantly, as well as her head cap test dyed (fail!), I took the precaution of swishing her in some mild soapy water and letting her dry out 24 hours first.   This morning when the wind died down, I gave her a good spray with Mr. Super Clear.  


Now for the fun part. When Hubby was working for the tow company, they got cars that were to go to auction, either from dealer trade ins or rental companies changing out their fleets.  For what ever reason, people left stuff in them that when contacted, never collected. Mainly DVDs, phone chargers, and stuff the police had to be notified about.  Anyway, in one car, there was this beauty stuffed in between the seats.  So when it went unclaimed, Hubby called dibs on it for my dolls. I cleaned it up and tossed it in the bin for laters.


Very pretty auburn brown hair totally a shame to waste.  So once again, I am going to make a wig.  It is long enough to cut in half, re-weft the bottom half and make the curly up do pony tail wig I love on the Unoa Zero girls.  Let us be clear: I hate making wigs.  Hilarity will ensue.

So, there it is, my 2016 project of doom.  A total make over for a girl of parts!  
   


2 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember that foam sueding trick! I never even thought of using that for sueding and it seems perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Day four and still working. I will let you know if it shows any signs of failing. It is 2 mm thick and compresses, but the surface seems to have some nice grip, and the Gorilla Glue does not fail the resin like some of the other stuff.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!