Saturday, January 17, 2015

The UFO Project: Summer Clothes

Re my previous post, part of my resolutions to get things done this year, the denim and fake fur trimmed jacket was ditched.  The denim that I originally thought (3 years ago O_o;;) was thin enough was definitely NOT, not even for a jacket for one of my big 72 cm guys.  I had to figure out what pieces were missing and cut them out, because the pattern was a trial one.  Also, while the fake fur sewed up very nicely, when put on the cuffs and I tried to match the double top stitching  probably ate up half a 160 yard spool of thread by constantly looping underneath.  Seems like the fur was messing with the sewing machine's mind.  Maybe the next time I will have to top stitch before I put the fur on. O_o I still plan to make that jacket, but in a thinner fabric and a more completed pattern, so it did have a purpose for its time.  Just not for now when I've gotten less lazy about patterning everything before hand and toil testing.  

So, I did what I was taught to avoid temptation to pick it up the next day and try again. I cut that sucker in half and tossed it.  No more, it is dead to me.  I spent more than a week on a project that should have only taken a few hours spread over a few days.  It was thick, it was stiff and it was just icky when fitting on the doll, as well as all the stitching tension not behaving with that denim top stitch look I wanted.  UFOs have that issue.  They became UFOs for some reason.

Next in my UFO plan list is the green dot geometric blue stuff that had been cut into two short sleeve shirts and a pair of cargo shorts. It seems fairly harmless. I managed to sort out the pieces, which were carefully cut from 2 fat quarters, and figured out what bits belonged to who.  Nothing is missing.  I cut this stuff out when I only had Jiji, Ciel and Kyou to deal with, so it's been in a bag for a while. I can only assume it was put away at a time when I was super busy at school. The first run of sewing is done and it's ready for pressing and re-pinning for the next batch of early morning warm up sewing.  I love this stuff, it's sort of retro-fifties looking, but I only ever found the 2 fat quarters in a discount bin.


I believe Jiji was supposed to have a pair of shorts to go with this made from denim?  Not sure, it's very faint in my mind.  But at least sometime next week, Ciel will actually have NEW CLOTHES! for the first time in four years.  O_o  And I'll try to match the blue or the green for a pair of girly shorts for her later.  


One of the reasons I like a north south aligned apartment; sun in the Winter, shade in the Summer in the bedroom.  Tama has to be in his spot for a few hours every morning to soak.  I can't make the bed until he's had his sunbathing time.  

I've got a pile of Kimono in progress, all pins and threads and fraying and omg gorgeous mess to dive back into. I keep thinking I should photo it but then I look at the piles and think, enh, it's nonsense, better to have it more of a "this actually is a kimono" stage at this point.  O_o  I still can't get used to the idea that I can chat with friends online or upload photos without being charged a fortune for "breaking the Internet" or something.   It still stresses me and then I think, Oh yeah.... Thanks so much again to Fishcake and Aernath.  

2 comments:

  1. LOL, you definitely needed better internet than you had before! (I just want to sit next to Tama there--he looks so warm and snuggly!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He feels rather like a Gund teddy crossed with a mink coat. ^_^

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!