Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Commission: Cadmuss22, a sort of Renaissance Jacket

Cadmuss22 had some changes to her project, and we held off for a while so she could settle her thoughts on the order, so this is technically an existing project with design changes and fabric changes.  This order was paid for in full on Etsy in July and is now slated for finish in October.

We're finalized for a Late Medieval/Early Renaissance type jacket, with layers of color changing, and an over all knight's garment effect.  Here is her sketch of the jacket.  I need to assess the amounts of fabric needed and work out the pattern and then it should go right together.  She's a good artist for fashion.  No-talent me is envious, LOL!  




October 15, 2014

I finished the patterning and broke down the color blocks.  With the colors suggested, I'm thinking lt grey sleeves and side pieces, the 'swoops' of olive, and the front middle and back, and collar and shoulder 'wings' as dark grey.  At first I was thinking light grey or tan down the middle of the front and dark under the arms, but then when looking at the back, I realized Hey, this soldier guy is going to have a light stripe down his back. O_o. Probably not a good idea.  Now that I've got the color and pattern break down done, I'll pick up the fabric tomorrow with all the other running around.  I'm considering top stitching the whole thing in black thread to outline the color blocks and pick up the details, and also, I want to test some couching, using a thicker cord stitched down to outline the edges for detail.  I have some dull silver buttons I want to test for the project, as well, but it will be snaps down the front under the 'buttons' as they don't button well, or haven't in past attempts.

October 18, 2014

It's been a hell of a week, but I'm going to be done on time.  I need to find some time to get photos up today. O_o  I ended up getting a mottled dark grey because it's Halloween hell time at the fabric store and they were out of a nice dark grey that wasn't printed with figures.  I got the light grey and olive, and some fabulous braid trim, and I'm going to use the beads for buttons after all, because they work with the whole thing.  I'm going to tighten the sleeves with snap plackets. I used a doll with hands about the same width to measure for the extra of the shaped hem, so I hope it fits.  I think the customer may have not gotten the Etsy email asking what doll this was for, but I think I can guestimate the finger length accurately.  Of all things, doll hands seem to be pretty standard. O_o

October 19, 2014

I fell a little bit behind this weekend, and I've got nothing but the snaps and buttons to get sewn on tomorrow before photographing and shipping.  ^_^

October 20, 2014

Finished!  I had a heck of a time with the snaps. I don't think I've ever dropped and hunted for so many snaps in my life.  New flat, new carpet.  Sometimes I miss the old, old carpet, as it was more worn and didn't eat snaps. LOL!  (not...)  Anyway, a quicky photo before running to the post office to mail it out. I don't have a doll in this size to model it so a dreadful flat on the ironing board photo will have to do.  My closest doll in around measures, is too short to do it justice.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!