Saturday, June 28, 2014

Commission: 3 Norfolk suits for 2 Volks and 1 Delf boy for Teddy.

Once again, I swipe, because I can not draw:

The fabric has arrived, and I'm waiting on the deposit.  I need to sort out Paypal billing. This is an order for July.  I need to round up LOTS of buttons for this one, buckles and lining, too but the important parts are here!  The measurements and the fabric, which is just wonderfully in proportion!  I need to get some more information but I'm really looking forward to this one.  The details, the time period, very fun!

July 3, 2014
I figured out the Paypal bill thing finally.  O_o  
In the mean time, I'll start the patterning and sort out what color lining and buttons I need to get.  
Which color fabric for which doll, please? 

July 4, 2014
Deposit paid, and we're up and running!

July 20, 2014

I'm waiting on a measurement clarification for two of the dolls and going ahead with what I have.  I've got the buckles, buttons and lining fabrics sorted.

July 23, 2014

Now that I have everything, the patterning is almost done.  I'm hoping to get this out before the end of the month after all, despite the new physical therapy schedule.  O_o

July 28, 2014

With the new physical therapy the first week of herding the hubby around has slowed me down considerably.  (by the time he's on both feet again, my back will be broken)  However, the project is well underway.  I was hoping to post photos of all the suits cut out tonight, but I still have some lining to cut and lining being slipper and slide-y, it can wait till tomorrow when I'm less likely to murder it.
My camera is insane.  It's turned burgundy that matches the micro-hounds tooth plaid fabric into fushia or something. The sample buttons are less brown than they look under this light.  I have oval buckles, but I'm wondering if the customer would prefer rectangular?

July 31, 2014

Everything is cut out now, but I've not had time to photo.  I've got it all pinned up for the first round of sewing.

August 14, 2014

Gotta love real wovens, they look gorgeous but fray like mad.  I don't cut off the fraying because--it only leads to more fraying.  O_o So, it's progressing a little slower than I anticipated due to a craptastic few weeks, but moving forward.  Next is double checking measurements, adjusting the collar, making the button holes for the belt to go through the box pleats and final assembly.  I went with the real pleats for the upper torso, rather than just faking it.




Aug 20, 2014

I was going to have photos up of more progress last night, but I made the mistake of 'taking a little nap' and woke up around midnight.  More this week, though. ^_^.  I'm going to focus on making them perfect and forget the stress.

August 25, 2014

I had promised update photos but got sidelined again and shifted to a simpler project so I wouldn't mess this more tricky one up.  I will be focusing on finishing this up this week.  I remember something about shirts, I need to research that design and I believe, will be able to take it on but later in September, early October.

August 31, 2014

I was hoping to have this finished this weekend, but the way it's going, I'm looking at mid-week again?  I want to get everything packed up and weighed so I can get shipping charge options before calling it done, too, so I'm thinking Wednesday if not sooner.

The pants are almost finished, they just need their calf bands and snaps and buttons, and the jackets are ready for the button holes to fit the belts through, then it's an easy put together.  I'm making sure to stop and check the measurements very carefully.  If you squint you can see the micro-houndstooth on the Bracken and Alphie suits go the opposite way, this is how I've been keeping track of parts, ^_^.

Alphie

Bracken

Jean Claude
Sept 2, 2014

The pants are now all done, but I hit a glitch today when it turned out my button hole foot doesn't like working with the top stitched pleats I've put in.  I've got the tan suits button holes for the belts done, but the dark one will have to wait until morning.  The hand sewing puts me another day behind my goal. On the other hand, I'm getting seriously good at hand made button holes. *_*  I hope the machine doesn't mind the ones for buttoning up the jackets.

Sept 6, 2014  Finished!

I only had to pull out six button holes and remake them out of 24. That's a record, I think.
My living room lighting is not suited toward photos at night.  But I put on two lights and the camera on automatic.

Jean-Claude (terrible lighting.   The buttons look different colors at the angles the flash caught them at.  They are a dk chocolate brown in reality and the lining looks redder than it really is.


Alphie



Bracken



Because it's difficult to tell the boy's clothing apart for the two same fabric suits, I put the buttons on the slacks to match the jacket.  The pleats under the bands work, both outside and lining.  The belt doesn't have a tongue to put through holes, it's a slider type.  Everything is done, I just want to give the 'fluffier' purple hound's tooth suit a better pressing in the morning.  The fabric is thicker and woollier and needs more discipline.  I'll have to refresh my memory of pressing with brown paper.  So other than a good press and packing up, they are done and will be packed up and ready to go from Monday on.  ^_^  

Sept 7, 2014

Paid in Full, shipping pending paypal showing up on my bank account.

Sept 18, 2014

I got backlogged with 'life' and I'm just getting this link up now.  Teddy was kind enough to send me a link to an informal but adorable photo of her boys in the suits!  SO CUTE!  I never think anything is quite the way I want it to be until I see it on the actual doll it was made for, then I'm always Oh wow, that looks so nice!  There's some sort of weird disconnect there.  Probably my inability to take decent photos, LOL!  >.>;;


10 comments:

  1. Looking forward to following your progress!

    Thanks

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I'll get things sorted this coming week.

      Delete
  2. > Which color fabric for which doll, please?

    The reddish brown for the SD13 boy, please.

    The other two can have whichever fabric you can get their suits out of

    Thanks

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there will be more than enough to have to flip a coin! ^_^
      Thank you for your deposit, sorry it took me so long to figure out the process. I actually have a certificate in Accounting for small business. It's one of the reasons I hate dealing with money, LOL! *head desk*

      Delete
  3. Oval buckles are just fine.

    Take as much time as you need to get the suits done - I and in ABSOLUTELY NO HURRY WHATSOEVER.

    I understand at life is throwing shit at you (and has been for some time) - don't let my commission become another part of that.

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Progress on the suits is looking great - thanks!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shirts can wait, they're a future project.

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! The suits look GREAT!!!!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I always hold my breath (sort of) until the customer actually gets the outfit to put on their doll. Remember the buttons are brand new and might have a thread or two I haven't trimmed out. ^_^

      Delete
  7. The suits are here and on my dolls and your are a sewing goddess!

    Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

    Teddy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!