Thursday, March 20, 2014

Aernath's Supia Sherlock: Suit and Shirt Commission

Project for January or sooner; Black jacket and slacks, purple shirt for Aernath's Supia Joshua as Sherlock.

Post bumped up and on the sewing table.

Paid in full, w/shipping and permanent discount/free shipping for providing a fitting shell for this Supia size body (awaiting).





Dec 15, 2013 

As stated in other posts, I have to watch my updates and photo uploads, because I got T-mobile to give us a six month break at the cost of bandwidth.  I have the fabric for the suit located from the big bins.  The tape shell forms are a bit tricky, made with duct tape rather than masking tape, duct tape is floppier than masking tape.  But I think I can deal with them.  I have the measurements to compare, but with suits, one does need the form. The proper placement of pockets and collar roll line are what make a suit on human or doll and a form fit is key.     

Dec 17, 2013
I didn't have enough of the dark purple and got some more today and pre-washed and shrunk it.  Patterning is a bit tricky but getting there.  Those hands. O_o  I want to make the suit jacket pockets work, but if I go with the hand width, I'm not sure it will look quite right.  I can make them as large as proportionately possible so he can tuck his fingers in or something?  The pants front pockets, I can do.  Back, falsies.

Dec 19, 2013
When patterning for other projects is done, I'll be free to focus on this one.  Assembling the suit and shirt won't take more than a week when I get to it, so I'm queuing it for the best focus on doing the best work with it when I can focus.

Dec 21, 2013
My apologies for slowdown of work yet again.  I got a batch of paperwork to fill out yesterday, and today, in the mail and have to see my husband to get things signed Monday.  Hopefully this is the last batch of papers, ID scans, declairations, notarizations and all that for a while.  

Dec 22, 2013
I'm just about done with the other project patterning and should be patterning for this suit set by Wednesday.    

Dec 25, 2013

Wow, I actually made my self set goal for the patterning.  Perhaps because the paper avalanche has slowed down.  So with the Jacket proportions, I am making working front pockets, (not the breast pocket) but I can't make them so wide the doll will be able to put it's full hand in them.  At least fingers with thumb out should fit?  The slacks front pockets will be working, also.  But not the back.  I need to find some lining fabric.  I seem to go through it like mad.  If I can't dredge up some black in my stash, I will go with purple or something that looks good with the suit fabric.

Dec 31, 2013

FINALLY, I had time to sit down and finish cutting out the lining!  So now everything is ready to start sewing.  (bit of lint and all. >.>;;)  


Jan 5, 2014 

I've got the first level of pinning ready to go.  I'm hoping to get more done on all my projects in the early morning and evenings now that everything is cut out.  Was pinning while watching season 3 ep 1 yesterday and omg. his lapel on the suit jacket is SO narrow.  I have to check and see if it was that very narrow the first two seasons?  If I have time, I'm throwing in a black bow tie just for the fun of it.  I've never made one before. 

Jan 20, 2014

Oh it's a good thing I post these.  I have to find that black china silk I have for the bow tie.  I would have forgot it completely.  (OMG season 3 gone so fast! Will there be a 4? O_O;;;)  Fangirl moment. Sorry. >.>;;
Anyway, first round of pinning and sewing pressed.  Little pocket flaps and jacket seams and so forth.  Soon it will be a suit and shirt (and  tie).  

Jan 30, 2014

A very messy update.  This would count as 1/3 done.  Things are slowly coming up to speed, but then will be tossed off track a bit by our moving flats.  



March 8, 2014

I've been trying to get done with things but up until yesterday the government loony network was sucking the life out of my days.  It looks like they can do no more at this point, so I'm aiming for a deadline on this project of March 14, if not sooner.  I have appointments to take the hubby to this week and I have no idea how that will affect what should be a short sprint to the finish line, so Friday it is.  

March 14, 2014 

GRRR.  Okay Monday the 17th.  No excuses, just poo happened all week same as always. 

March 16, 2014  

Now I know what's been dragging me down and making me tired since we sat in the doctor's office Thursday.  I have the flu. >.<;;  More delays.  This is really frustrating.  I've got the shirt done except buttons and holes, and the jacket and pants are half done.  

March 17, 2014

Photo progress update. Sewing while suffering from a nasty cold is not fun for details so I'm sticking to the simple things, like sleeve caps and nice, straight, harmless seams.  


March 25, 2014

Again with the apologies.  Just when I thought the cold was under control, I got hit with sinuses and was down for two days of torture.  I'm much better today and will continue to hope to finish the suit with in a few days.  >.<;;  

March 28, 2014  

I'm finally over the blasted cold or flue or sinus thing or whatever it was!  Seems like three things were hitting me at once.  I was hoping to get finished today after the Casa Colina appointment but the pool therapy appointment triggered violent nerve spasms in hubby's leg and everything went to hecky-shuckins, and we got home late.  I'm looking at buttons on the shirt, lining in the jacket and buttons and waist band and hem on the slacks.  I will be done late Saturday so it will be photographed and up on the blog here Sunday and mailed out first thing Monday.  

March 31, 2014  

I was hoping to photo and mail things out this morning, but found things were not lining up hem wise when I lined the jacket up to photograph it.  Then I thought, wait, I haven't taken a tape measure to any of this.  After 3 hours of going over everything and having all the measurements line up but not the hem, I realized this is not a quick fix.  I've been working till 1:17 pm to get things back together properly and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make it to the post office today before it closes at this point.  I preshrink all my fabric, and had washed the jacket and let it dry Sunday, but this is just not a problem that will iron out.  I had to dig out my closest fitting doll, and really take a look at the hang of the jacket.  Between laying it out on the table and pinning every piece to it's opposite side and putting the jacket on the doll and looking at it, I'm getting two different solutions.  I'll update again later this evening.  My apologies for the delay. >.<;;  

Update:  I'm going to have to recut and remake the coat.  I'm emailing Aernath to let her know what's up.  The shirt and slacks came out fine, but the jacket is just a mess.  I'm going to focus on getting the jacket done this week.  

April 1, 2014

I've cut out the jacket again, this time paying close attention to the grain lines of a twill (vertical slant lines can be tricky in coal black!) and adding extra hem allowance to the back, just in case.  

April 5, 2014

I missed the 2 o'clock closing at the post office today, damn it, but it's done.  The jacket came out very nice, despite the crappy photos.  I think it's from the corner windows crossing.  I'm still sorting the lighting in the living room out.  It's very odd having natural light coming from two windows when you're used to only one.  The jacket back and slacks photos came out blurry despite looking okay on the little preview window.  I packed everything up and then didn't get to the post office in time.  I ended up having to do most of the shirt button holes by hand when for some reason my machine decided to not make button holes.  It was messing up the collar button hole and I had to redo it about 6 times to get it right.  From now on, shirt button holes by hand.  I spent way too many hours on the 'convenience' of a machine button hole. O_o  I'll be mailing the package out Monday morning.  

I don't know what is causing the 'chalky' looking reflections.  Could it be light shining through the fabric and showing the lining? O_o  Seriously it looks great in reality. 

The blurry back, but I fixed the pattern and the hem lines up perfectly now.  I'm thinking that weird reflection is the light off the weave of the fabric.  

Blurry slacks, same thing. The whole suit is coal black and cool but there you go, where the light catches, it's chalky reflecting.  


The purple shirt of doom.  I'm rather pleased with my hand sewn button holes.  
The buttons look brown in some lights and match the shirt fabric in others.  And of course on camera, all the little threads I missed show up like the Empire State building.  

I want to thank Aernath again for her patience with this project.  I'll put tracking on the package and mail it out Monday.  

April 8, 2014  

The package went out Monday and should be there Thursday. ^_^ 

April 11, 2014 (yes posting a day late, it's really the 12th)

I was outraged yesterday to see that after posting that package MONDAY, the Post had it stuck in the next city over all damned week!  It's NOT like we're buried under snow here!  It's been 90 at the most and 47 at the least! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!