Thursday, March 14, 2013

YoSD 1700's Court Suit Commission For KingofChains: Part 2

It looks like Blogger only allows so much per post.

So, part two of this post update for the YoSD 1700's Court Suit Commission .




March 14, 2013 

Just an early update today, I finished the color embroidery today, just not the gold metallic.  

Here is a list of remaining To Do's: 

Change the montees for clear yellow beads on vest and pants.

Coat progress: 

Sew up  the pocket flaps. press and turn them.  Embroider the gold on.  Sew on pocket flaps. Tack down with bronze beads.

Sew gold bars on sleeves, and bronze beads. 

Sew in sleeve lining: bevel the excess fabric layers before sewing in the lining. 

Sew in the coat body lining.  Press pleats in coat skirt and tack them.  

Machine sew button holes. 

Sew on gold cord bars over button holes.

Sew on bronze bead buttons.  

Just plan on Monday being the final day, because even if I finish sooner, I still want to wash and dry and press everything gain to remove any germs, and that would be the post office day.   Seems like I'm almost over my cold, but just exhausted from coughing. Naturally, the customer has a week after that day to complete payment or let me know of any delays. ^_^  And I do thank you again for your patience.

March 15, 2013   

The lining is all in except at the top of the back split (vent).  When that's in the hem will be even, but right now, it's gaping a bit because that area is loose. I left the basting threads in for the pleats, because I'm going to press them again in the morning before I tack them into place.  I've crossed off the items in the to do list that are done.  I think I found the trick to photographing shiny fabric.  Hold the camera up higher.  I really should read the book on photography I got.  I don't know what changed in blogger, but now you can just click on the image and see it full size instead of opening it in another window first. Strange.  


The still slightly mess insides, showing the pleats and the tacking I did to make certain that lining is never going to fray out.  The threads are the temporary basting on the pleats where I marked the lines for the folds. 

The front before gold metallic embroidery is finished, etc. with the pins keeping the just pressed pleats in place. It's a little puffy because the pleats are inside the coat distorting the shape.  Some chalk marks are still there, but they will wash out.  

The back.  When the vent is finished at the top the gap will be gone.  
I debated making the cuffs bigger, but when it's on the doll, the larger cuffs create a more childish appearance. If it were a bigger doll with a more mature look, it might go over, but with a small doll, not so sure. They still need to be rolled and tacked in place with the button/beads so the top seams are still distorted. 

I should be done with the remaining work tomorrow, Saturday, then get everything washed and pressed for nice photos by Sunday. 

March 17, 2013  Finished! 

First, a dressing tutorial.  Small dolls are a (insert swear word here) to dress. So while I was dressing my YoSD for the photos, I got a brain and took photos of my standard tricks.  Why do thread and things always show up in Photos?  Anyway, I normally stop after 6 pm, but I wanted to get these posted.  There will be threads and everything needs to be pressed, so little corners are flipping up that didn't show when I was taking photos but now will totally embarrass me because--they can.  Inanimate objects hate me.  On with the show: 


First, put the sleeves in the jacket.  See those huge tweezers I got with my serger?  Those or a nice pair of honest forceps are the best doll dressing/restringing/ anything tool you can have in your doll tool chest. 
Pull the sleeves through the coat sleeves. 


Making sure your doll's head is off the table for safety sake, bring the arms up and back and put both sleeves on at the same time.  Have fun with those fingers and thumbs.  I swear this is where dolls do their best to prove they are possessed.   

Once you have extracted and counted all the little fingers and thumbs, gently with your fingertips, pull the sleeve up at the arm pit until your cuffs are where you want them.  Then pock the fabric back into the coat sleeve with a pinky tip or the round end of your tweezers or forceps.  Button at will.  The neat thing about bead buttons (size 0/6 glass TOHO beads) is that you can just pop the button hole down over them like a snap.  Fresh made button holes are always a tough go but after a few times they get easier to deal with, even on human clothing. There will be a few little threads where they were cut open showing up for a while.  Just trim them with nail or embroidery scissors.  

En Negligee or something french for running around half dressed. 









At this point I start to giggle, because while I'm working on things, I'm hyper critical, but yeah, I think I can sew. LOL!  (ignore the crazy person, please). 


Deep pockets were thing in those days.  Plenty of room for a  needlepoint wallet, a handkerchief and a snuff box, and maybe a small flint lock pistol. 
The basting stitching I pulled out left little stitch-lines, but they'll  'relax' out.  I just wanted to keep the pleats crisp when I washed the coat.  






Those socks >.<  A bit thick, but he stands up better with socks on. 



And here's where the front corner flips I didn't notice in photographing make a fool of me.  Pressing and packing will fix that.  Threads and bits from falling over on the carpet.

I do so hope that the customer is happy with the outfit.  I'm still mad at myself for catching a cold the first time in two years and throwing off my timing.   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!