Monday, February 25, 2013

The YiFeng Head Looks Good

Naturally while I was away at the post office mailing out Youkaimoon's hakama set, the Mint on Card package came!  The post person left it with the manager, which is a fluke in itself, so I was very happy to get it so early!

At first I had a minor heart failure, because the YiFeng head looks pretty small, despite the measurements in the sales web site.  The Sleepy Alice head (still crying over that one) looked right when I opened the box, but turned out to be way too small, so I was really feeling a bit faint.  (Or because lunch was way late...)

But I decided not to totally panic until I had a real reason to, and after some swearing at the still perfectly tight strings Jiji has after 3 years, managed to get her S-hook through the new head without a scratch.  And while even with Jiji's head, the body has a bit of a mushroom neck, Jiji's chin hides it and her head is rather large for the body, so I didn't want to judge right away.  I plunked her borrowed wig on and stood the doll up where I could stand back and look at it in passing for a while.  After lunch, I thought, yes, this is going to work.  The hand to face ratio is very good, the head to shoulder ratio--okay for a fashion design look, and while her body looks a bit 'all there', the head does look very nice!  I can either sand down the little neck bulge a bit, or hide the mismatch under her wigs.  The thing is, I want to style wigs to the 1940s through 1950s time period, so that might be an issue with up-do hairstyles.

Once again, a doll listed as having 16 mm eyes looks like it would do better with a 14 mm.  I love the profile on this doll head.  And the head circ to waist ratio looks good.  I read somewhere that Dior insisted his models head circumference match their waist.  Ouch!  No wonder waist clinchers figured so predominantly in his designs.

ball joint doll clothing
The slight mushroom neck effect shows in this photo.

ball joint doll clothing
The Only Doll resin is only slightly lighter than the Dragon Doll resin, you can't even see a difference in normal light or under camera flash. 


ball joint doll clothing
Rather large but fitting shoes make her feet look too big. Yet another reason to learn to make shoes! 
I really just can't wait to start making her retro-style clothing!  The only confusion I have now is, do I give her a new name for the head alone, or just keep calling her Jiji, because it's the same body and will continue to be? 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!