Monday, December 3, 2012

The Obligatory Alice in Wonderland Cosplay

This is my 'test' from the little girl's dress and apron pattern I made for my YoSD size Sakuranbo last month. I've been doing a lot of research on vintage patterns for children's outfits from the 1930s through 1950s and the basic little girl's dress from the 1950s is fantastic for surface design. They look like little flowers.  I want to make a whole garden's worth!

Naturally since I had a blue micro-gingham, and that doll eating 'wild Alice' wig (this is the actual company name for it!), I went with Alice in Wonderland.  Alice is very popular in BJD-land right now.  I think it's because the story goes so well side by side with the whole Steampunk thing, though I think it's a stretch to say the connection is because the White Rabbit has A Watch.  The White Knight from Through The Looking Glass is very Steampunk, with all his clever inventions, but most people seem focused on the Rabbit, because he's the one with the watch.

I think the most difficult part of the whole outfit were the socks.  I went on a sock making binge this weekend, and these are the smallest ones I've ever made.  I had to sew the lace cuffs on with the socks stretched over my fingertip.  Then I realized when I put them on Sakuranbo, they were practically knee socks! However, bunching them down, with the crinkles hidden under the lace cuff, works out okay.  I'm so used to working with the big dolls.  For the rest of this month, I'm going to do my best to catch up with all the stuff cut out for my big guys, but at least now everyone has socks.  

Doll Love Linna BJD
Sakuranbo is a Doll-Love YoSD 'Linna'




And yes, those sleeves do go right over the doll's hands, the circumference of spread hand and arm's widest around part is the same measurement.  The apron has snaps in back for the shoulder straps.  The dress closes with snaps and there are a pair of blue and white gingham bloomers under there.  

I put more cosplay pictures up on the Deviant Art portfolio. ^_^ 













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! ^_^
Sometimes Blogger doesn't let me reply to comments on my own blog, but I will try to get back to you!