Sunday, November 18, 2012

Commissions Information

Welcome! 

I'm a professional seamstress and tailor, and have worked in theatrical costuming and run my own sewing business for humans for years. I've been working with ball joint dolls since 2010. You can check the side bar to see what dolls I own. I have one cat, and am very careful to clean and package anything I make so that no animal hair, dander, or household odors are on items. I live in Southern California in the USA, and will ship world wide to countries that PayPal and the U.S. Postal system will deal with. I have no problem with walking to the post office, or UPS store, they are right up the street. You can reach me via email at:
 sewingboxdesigns2011@gmail.com

Important: If you are looking for someone to supply product for Your Esty or Ebay shop or website, look elsewhere.  I am not a manufacturing/sweatshop service.  

Commissions:

I'm currently accepting commissions for clothing to your design request. My interests are Manga/Anime, Historical, Retro, Steampunk and casual, as well as office wear.

Right now my turn around time for most clothing is 2-6 weeks.  Embroidered or heavily decorated costumes take as long as the amount of elaborate design needs.  I always try to over estimate the time needed.  I require a non-refundable half labor cost deposit to start work on the order.

You do not have to send me your doll, I actually prefer not to accept responsibility for other people's expensive and beloved dolls.  I work from measurements and if it's a really tricky body type, paper and tape casts that are easy to make and mail.  See this post for the measurement chart.

When the order is in progress, money tendered on the deposit, I will post an updating report post for their project.  Progress is photographed and reported every few days, so that customers can see their outfit and question or correct anything.

Pricing:

Varies depending on what you want made.  I will list the cost of everything so you can chose how you spend your own money.  I may have to get back to you after a day or three of research. If you wish to purchase the fabric and ship it to me, you will be charged only for labor, but I still require the deposit.  If you want me to shop for you, I will have to figure out how much fabric and the cost is needed and get back to you, and then the remaining labor charge is to be paid when your garments are done. Any overage for fabric will be applied to the balance of your labor.

Please note, the price I quote is per job, not per hour.  If I finish sooner or later than the estimated time, the price remains the same.

For shipping via USPS, I can give only a rough estimate based on online pricing charts, but without knowing how heavy the fabric for an item is, that's something that has to be discussed and adjusted for.

I will quote you a price based on your drawing, sketch, concept after we have got it very clear what you would like, design, fabrics, etc. It's nice if you have a front, back and side view, either photo or rough sketch of what you have in mind. I'm used to working with very rough sketches from customers, so don't be shy. Be prepared to take measurements of your doll with a thin, cm (not inches) tape measure. Here is the measurement form.

Patterns and Quality:

I make all my own patterns, but if you wish to have something made from a purchased pattern, I will trace it off and your pattern will be returned to you uncut. My goal is to make every item as if it were for a human being to wear, as closely as possible allowing for the differences between doll and human figure and movement. I aim for proper proportion, pose-ability, with couture techniques, and the clothing I make is meant to last. Everything I make is designed to be put on the doll with out removing hands or heads, as closely as possible to the desired design. However it does depend on what fabric the customer wishes to use.  Stiff polyesters and such do affect the look of an outfit.

Portfolio:

Most of my recent work is on my Deviant Art site, and I'm constantly working on new patterns for items for all sizes of dolls.

Fabrics:

For the most part, I prefer to work with natural fibers, and real Rayon, and blends there of, like Cotton/Linen, Cotton/Rayon, etc.  Lycra at 8% or less is okay, as long as the main fabric is natural.  Double Knit Polyester does not lend itself well to doll size items.  Some of the more sheer polyester stuff with gold or sliver fibers or prints, as long as they are very thin, are okay.  Remember thin to you is thick on a doll. A lot of microfibers and suede cloth behave very much like natural fabric, so those are reasonable.

I can sew the thinner fake leathers, PVC and vinyl, but not the heavy stuff.

Check this post for info on choosing fabrics. 

I don't work with leather or hides from animals on a large scale.  Small things like strips of fur trim and hand sewing, but not machine sewn leather garments, my machine isn't made for them.

Nor can I mold plastic, resins, or metals, and will turn down offers I honestly feel I can't do justice to. 

I prefer not to use Velcro unless the customer specifically wants it or needs it for accessibility reasons. I have a small stock of thin Volks brand velcro, it's sheer and only a bit stiff, but nice for people who have trouble working their hands to dress a doll.  

Payment Via Paypal only.

I usually give the customer a week after the quoted time, even if I finish earlier than that.  For instance if I say, it will be done in 2 weeks and it's done in 1, you still have 3 weeks to pay.

Be aware that unpaid for items will end up on Etsy, just like clothes that get left at the dry cleaners' get sold every 3 months.   

Etsy: If you wish to commission an item through Etsy, the Etsy method will be followed.  Your item will be listed as described and made as a Custom Order in my Etsy shop.  I also offer the option to have items in my shop made to order.  If you want something there with a different fabric or color, or small changes in design, like a sleeve or a hem, please feel free to contact me. 

Refunds:

Refunds will be based on possibilities that are outside my control, such as natural disaster damage to your goods, or severe illness that precludes my ability to do the work (which thankfully, is not very often!). Otherwise, you will get what you ask for and agree on, that is my guarantee. This is why it's important to measure carefully and keep track of your commission's updating report.

Using Paypal is your legal security as well as mine. Your original designs and all images you send me are yours and will be deleted from my files (unless you have given me permission to post a commission report for your project). I will not use patterns made from your original designs to make items for my ready to wear shop. Designs based on popular media images such as comics, manga, anime, etc. in 'cosplay' situations are up for grabs. If I make you a sailor moon costume, that does not preclude my ever making another one in the exact same style and fabric for someone else.